A change-of-address form can take several weeks to process, so it’s best to submit one as soon as you sign your lease to ensure your mail is delivered. That’s important when you receive notices from the University, paychecks or other items by mail. But changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service doesn’t automatically alert all the people you do business with. Make a list of services and businesses that might need your home address, then contact them by phone or change your address on their websites. Avoid “saving time” and posting your address on social media services — doing so can put the information in the wrong person’s hands. Here are some business to consider alerting with your new address:
- UT Arlington
- Other colleges you have attended
- Your bank
- Electric company
- Your parents and other family members
- Amazon or other online shopping services
- Credit card companies you use
- Your church
- Your emergency contact
- Your driver’s license/the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Your insurance companies
- Subscription services for magazines, coupons, etc.
- Doctors, dentists, hairdressers (anyone who would mail you an appointment reminder or test results)
- Your employer
Change your address with the U.S. Postal Service online at https://www.usps.com/umove or visit a post office for a paper form.